Saturday, December 12, 2009

The Gentleness of a Father

Yesterday morning (Friday), Aaron, the kids, and I went to Denver. We finished up shopping and Aaron flew out this morning for Chicago to see his sister before he drives to Des Moines for meetings. After we had gotten the kids bathed Friday evening and were getting ready for bed, Trinity got sick all over herself. Over the course of the night she got sick 2 more times. Through this, God showed me a side of Aaron that I rarely get to see...his "my child is sick/hurting" side. This isn't because he doesn't show it, it's because we've been blessed enough that our children haven't been sick or hurt very often. We took turns cleaning and tending to Trinity. I watched as Aaron held Trinity's hair back, cleaned up without flinching or gagging, soothed her with gentle words, gave her another bath, continued giving her hugs and kisses, jumped out of bed when either her or Eli coughed, and just loved her as only a father can. When I said, "I do", this wasn't a scene from our lives that played in my head- I was picturing all bliss and perfectness...not kids throwing up on themselves and you! Yet, now, the scene I watched Friday evening is one that will play over again and again in my heart because it was so touching, so full of love. Once again, I thank and praise God for blessing my life with such an amazing, gentle, strong, and loving husband.

No comments: